Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 13: Blog Finis….or Page One?


Greetings, Gentle Reader,                                                                         

To add to the confusion of the time travel that has characterized this blog, this final entry may ultimately introduce the book, Sojourn to Saguenay, which could augment your coffee table collection of Row, Canada! (2011), Locked Up, Locked Down (2008), and The Big Row (2006). My appetite to leave behind an old-timey print edition of this summer’s row is simply a manifestation of my Techno-Peasant temperament, so don’t order one up if you don’t want to. No pressure. But if you’re in the Inner Circle and have just received your signed copy in the mail or under your windshield wiper….well, enjoy!

My ten weeks of “summer enrichment and professional development” have been dominated and defined by only thirteen days of intense experience. While I might include my tepid preparation or this subsequent flurry of writing activity as a part of the rowing experience, in truth there is nothing quite like being underway in the boat, focused on the water, one’s body, and the unfolding day, stroke by stroke. I now pause more than a few times each day with a flashback of my time on the Richelieu or Lake Champlain, of the magnificent waters of the St Lawrence, or of coming to grips with nature and my own limits along the coast of the mountainous Charlevoix region.

If I print this all up in a bound volume, I’ll have to wrestle with the title. After all, I never made it to Saguenay by water; the boat was strapped to the roof of the Mini when Peg and I viewed the mouth of the river. Perhaps it’ll have to be Sojourn Towards Saguenay or even Sojourn to Saguenay, Part I ….if I intend to complete the trip someday.

The good news is that I was able to cover about 425 miles during the thirteen days of this adventure.... good work, perhaps, for a largely chair-bound fellow (Ouch! That’s too close to “large chair-bound fellow”) on the cusp of his 63rd birthday. The reality is that I had intended to proceed 100 miles further but didn’t… and therein lies my lesson for the summer.

In retrospect, I’m fortunate to have experienced the severity of adversity that I faced in July. More than two thousand miles had led to overconfidence, a too-flip and casual attitude about “learning along the way” and accommodating trials as they emerged, a relaxed fatalism regarding what might be around the next bend or out of the next bay. This approach worked until it didn’t and when it didn’t, I had no margin for error. I’m pleased that I am able to write about all of this in the past tense, in my own voice, with the possibility of a sequel. Brian would have written a great memorial reflection, I am sure…. but happily, it will have to wait.


 Peace, love, and happiness,

No comments:

Post a Comment