Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 11, July 7: The New Longest Day, Part I


As I was setting up my tent in a drizzle last night, an envoy from a group dining inside appeared and asked if I might be interested in sleeping in the gazebo on the side yard. “Better for the rain, yes?” she questioned in lilting English. “Ah, yes,” I replied gratefully, wondering why I could not shake my own lilting English French accent. Apparently they’d followed my arrival from across the river through the rain, and the amusement provided by my Snoopy-like wrestling match with my tent had earned me a much-improved set-up for the night. (Note to file: the hard plank floor of a dry gazebo at Levy at the invitation of friendly diners is far preferable to bootless groveling at the Quebec Yacht Club.)

Room with a View: Quebec City from the window of my gazebo.
 
As I quaffed a pre-bedtime libation in the restaurant- something carrying tonic, for resisting the bugs, of course- I met Gerald and Denise. They lived aboard a sailboat here at the marina, and I asked them if they knew where I might purchase charts for the waters to Saguenay. I had run off my map as I arrived in Quebec City, and I knew I’d be heading into large stretches of unpopulated shoreline ahead. My day had also taught me that the water was changing rapidly; this was no longer a charming river delivering me gently to my destination. Gerald said, “Meet me here at 9:30 tomorrow; I have charts for you.” How easy! 9:30 was on the late side for me, but I immediately recalled the scene in Casablanca when the young lovers, desperate to escape, arrange a meeting with Captain Renault to receive their coveted visa.
The young man declares, “We’ll be at your office at 7, Captain.”

“Fine,” replies Renault. “I’ll be there at 10.”
So I was there this morning at 9:30 and Claude was right on time, carrying a bundle of charts under his arm along with something of an appetite for breakfast. His lovely wife Denise accompanied him, and we talked of things Canadian, global, and personal. A musician, Gerald had also spent his career as a principle figure representing artists in labor negotiations in the US, Canada, and abroad. Between liberal forkfuls of hash browns and rye toast, I offered that he should be teaching labor relations and exploring issues of equity with the next generation before so much of his incredible experience is lost. Gerald's stories evoked what recalled reading and even experiencing in my own career….Sinclair Lewis, Walter Reuther, Saul Alinsky, Studs Terkel…all somehow rolled up in my compelling, passionate, principled breakfast companion. Incredible perspectives…a delightful couple....
Gerald and Denise bid me a Bon Voyage before The Mal Voyage.
 And..zoot alours! The Charts!
Gerald’s chart collection represented a collection of maps of waters from Quebec City to Saguenay…from which two middle maps were missing. My first mistake of the day was to elect to push off that morning with an incomplete set, putting me in the dark (literally, as I would find out that night…..) for over forty miles of coastline. In retrospect, this was an incomprehensibly bad call. After all, I’d had my confidence badly shaken yesterday, I had done a pretty realistic job of assessing the mistakes in judgment I had made…and yet here I was at almost noon, pushing off from Quebec City with incomplete charts into fifty miles of essentially uninhabited coastline of increasingly oceanic conditions with 40% of my path- and tonight’s probable landfall- “off the charts” in my possession.

Armchair Analysis: On August 22nd, 2006, I faced what I thought of as “The Longest Day” in an epic struggle to exit the Delaware River for the Chesapeake as I rowed from Troy, NY, to Baltimore. That day and night I covered 62 miles in 17 hours in bad conditions and, at the end, against a building tide, arrived in a heap on a dock at one in the morning. In Quebec I found myself comparing this kind of previous experience to my current situation, finding confidence that “I could do it” because I’d faced tough sledding before. I knew the tides were much, much stronger here in Canada, as was the flow of the St Lawrence. I knew that the water temperature of the Delaware was as that of a bathtub compared to the quick hypothermia underneath me now. And I knew that I had a rocky, unapproachable, and largely uninhabited coastline ahead as opposed to the refuge of marshes and glades of the Delaware. I knew all of this because I’d experienced it in Technicolor®, Surround-Sound®, and Reality® just yesterday…and yet I allowed an incomparable earlier experience cloud my judgment and fuel my boyish enthusiasm on this July departure.
It perhaps also bears noting that I was soon to be 63 years old this morning, not newly 55. When you’re 63, details like this matter.
So I pushed off - too late in the day, underequipped, and overconfident- for the final leg of my journey. I’d soon have a new standard of comparison for a “Longest Day,” one which I’d be grateful to have lived…and passed.     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment