Saturday, July 5, 2014

7/5/2014 - Trois Rivieres to Portneuf (heaven on earth)



42.5 miles, 9 hours 20 minutes
Portneuf marina 
 
How could a day that started out so problematically end so perfectly?  So far this week I have confronted a ferret (cute), a ground hog (cute, eating a Sabrette hot dog right out of the wrapper), and this morning at 5:30, a skunk barring the way to the Porta-Potti.  I threw a stick; it hissed.  I threw a second stick; it hissed but backed off a bit.  A third stick gave me the advantage sorely needed, and I was in.

But … was I in at a high cost?  A Porta-Potti at 5:40 AM is a place for the quiet contemplation of the wiles of a rodent.  Was he repositioning outside for the perfect shot?  Had he signaled his skunk friends for group participation?  Sadly, the ventilation slits around the top of a Porta-Potti are not suitable for surveillance, and I was in the dark.  I could wait him out; I’ve spent a lot of time in bathrooms and as Porta-Pottis go, this one was pretty nice.  But my book was in the boat, and the river was calling ….

I could use my pack as a shield, but everything I needed to live with for the next two weeks was in it … too smelly to contemplate.

So I did what I had to do: I hit that door like Ray Rice hits the seven hole behind Vonte Leach – I wished Vonte was up front on this one – and blew past that skunk before he could get his tail up.

Arriving back at the boat unscathed, I later felt silly for ‘fist-pumping’ my achievement.  Running past a confused rodent just isn’t that big of a deal, certainly not deserving of a fist pump.

What is a big deal is my current port of call, Portneuf, about 40 miles upstream from Quebec City. Nancy, the charming marina proprietor, met me at the dock and within 4 minutes I had a cold beer, a plate of pate, and a key to the men’s room.  A crowd gathered around, chattering in French and clearly bemused by the spreading word of my adventure.  I needed a friendly port … especially after this morning’s unpleasantness, and I’m settled in for a pleasant night.  OAR VOI !!    
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment