Friday, July 11, 2014

July 11, 2014 - An Important Pause


As I write this entry at my mom’s dock at Lake George, back where Matt and I started exactly two weeks ago, I’m reminded of Ricky Ricardo’s line, I’ve  “got some ‘splainin’ to do.”

The “why” of my return involves Jane, the mother of my best friend (other than Brian) and my own mother’s best friend, who has entered hospice in Albany.  Early this week, when I learned of this turn of events and the urgency of her state, the present unconditional joy and freedom of this adventure pretty much evaporated; Jane has been “the other mom” in my life, a lady for whom the idea of “just being there” could have been coined, and rowing on in blissful exploration was just not in the cards. Jane, her wonderful family, and my own mom seemed too far away at a time when, as powerless as I am to effect events, I nonetheless felt like I needed to “be there” for someone else.

So here I am, back at the lake. It’s a vigil of sorts, if still from a bit of a distance, but it feels like the right thing to do and the right place to be.

So the row is on hold…or, is it?

As previously noted, the boat is stored at Auberge Le Cormoran & Le Domaine Belle Plage at Baie St Paul, a charming inn about 60 miles short of the Saguenay River. Proprietors Nicole and Daniel, exhibiting the hospitality typical of so many on this route, have allowed me to store my boat alongside their barn adjacent to a freshly planted flower garden, and the detritus of my cargo is tucked inside.
Guideboat's present home 
 
In addition, as I packed up, Adam, a nearby summer neighbor who resides in Montreal, provided wonderful commentary of Baie St. Paul and guided me to a magical shortcut to the bus station.
Prettiest walk ever to a bus station....n'est-ce pas?
The boat will be safe until Peg and I return, and I am enormously appreciative of my hosts’ generosity of spirit in allowing me to maintain an outpost.
So, again you ask, is the row on hold?

Gentle Reader, your question has been on my mind since I sledged the boat through the mud into Baie St. Paul on Wednesday.
Stuck in the mud...lower right. Muddie' Pate' la Baie?
Since leaving Quebec City, I’ve come to experience what my research and those with local knowledge have stated without exception: this stretch of the St Laurence River is truly the beginning of the North Atlantic Ocean. The tides and currents are far stronger than my own horsepower; when those forces are in full play, I can only point the boat, I cannot propel or direct it. The fog which instantaneously enveloped me on Tuesday morning put me into complete white-out conditions; I had read of sailors navigating in pea-soup solely by the sound of the waves crashing on shore…and now I’ve had to do it out of necessity. Keeping situational awareness of the seaward cresting waves looking to spill you while staying off shore just enough not to lose touch with it is pretty exciting….and might I add, harrowing. The winds that turn in an instant and, in pressing against tide or the current, create funnel waves through which I simply cannot row without being rolled are no longer abstract ideas inspiring caution: they’re scary, and they arise in minutes as water and winds shift. But most sobering of all is the price one would pay for a single mistake in these conditions. The water at this point in the St Laurence is bone-crushingly cold. Yes, I wear a safety vest, but it would be of little help in water that would render me hypothermic and helpless within minutes, with no prospect of help. These are truly Varsity conditions and more than a few times on Tuesday and Wednesday I recognized that my appetite for adventure and moderate skill as an oarsman were placing me in circumstances of real peril with no tolerance for error. Six inches of freeboard at the beam are all that separate me from the most dangerous environment I’ve ever encountered -frigid, turbulent, remote waters, flash fogs and deep-water rapids- and do I really have to rely on Clint Eastwood to pose the key questions? “Are you feeling lucky, punk?” and, of course, “A man has to know his limitations.”  

Last night my mom reflected that maybe Jane’s turn for the worse, as sad and poignant for all of us as it is, is a kind of small gift to her that got me, her son, off the water in time to really think through my next decision. When I go back up to Baie St. Paul, do I get back in the boat and continue the row, seasoned by caution? Or, as Adam urged me when he said goodbye on Wednesday, should I consider my journey sufficiently meritorious at this moment and put the boat on the roof of the Mini…finis, complete, ferme’?  

Yesterday Peg offered an elegant compromise, one which is sticking to the ribs this morning as perhaps a fitting ending: put the boat on the Mini, drive to the Saguenay River, wait for proper conditions, suit up, and row her, Tiny Timmy, and myself out a ways to see and hear the whales.

I’m liking this idea.

So, to be sure, until my boat is resting back on the dock here in home waters, the Sojourn to Saguenay will continue. I still have a lot to think and write about….some events and people and ideas that deserve mulling and reflection if only for my own sense of closure. I want to tell you more about Helen and Phil from Essex, Nancy of Portneuf, Gerald and Denise of Levy/Quebec City, Adam of Baie St Paul, rejection at Camp Dudley and Trois Riviere, unconditional hospitality everywhere else, sobering evidence of emerging Canadian (hence worldwide) screen addiction, my first seal, my first whale, my night spent wrapped in a rain tarp on the beach, the heroic role of Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Matt’s emerging ambitions as an America’s Cup competitor,
 
and of course my own sobering confrontation with a limitation after thousands of miles in my guideboat….so much to remember and to save, and maybe some of it will be amusing enough to be of interest.

All of this is trivia in the context of Jane’s and her family's circumstances, and I’d ask you only to take a pause right now, close your eyes, and in recalling and embracing a wonderful, warm, spirited, selfless and generous lady in your own life, you’ll be embracing her.  

Big ups,

Al

 

               

 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment